U11 Scorpions advance to CT Cup title game

The Trumbull United Scorpions U11 boys soccer team defeated the Westport U-11 Boys Blue, 2-1, in the semifinals of the CT Cup.

That is not to say that the game started off on such an auspicious note. With a chill in the air, a Trumbull clearance led to a lofted shot from the Westport defense. In the goalkeeper’s sights, the ball slipped through his gloves and bounced willingly inside the left post to put Westport ahead 1-0.

The unlucky start did not damper the Trumbull spirits, as it dominated the early attack, culminated by a pass from Logan Blazer to Christian Moura with Moura’s shot going just wide left in the 10th minute.   

The remainder of the half saw Trumbull’s staunch defense, led by Hayden Brill, deny any forward movement from the Westport opponents. Brill commanded his area, intercepting a seeing-eye through pass in the 14th minute and then clearing a deep dribble toward the box eight minutes later.

Only a deflected corner kick by Westport, forcing a reaction save by Trumbull keeper Sean Newmark, showed any real signs of danger.

On the other end, Trumbull stayed on the attack coming close once again when a shot from Moura off a pass from Stefan Cordas sailed over the goal.

In need of a fast equalizer in the second half, the Scorpions came off the bench aggressive on offense. Their hard work paid off when Brill’s pass off a free kick at midfield found its way to center-forward Blazer.

Blazer’s quick turn in the 40th minute opened a lane toward goal. After managing a touch with the defender at his heels, Blazer poked the ball to the near post making it 1-1.

Blazer had another chance with a near post shot just four minutes later, but this time the talented Westport keeper made the diving save.

At the other end, the defense led by Owen Bull continued to stop a Westport squad that continually utilized a good understanding of the offside rule.

In the 51st minute, Westport challenged with a shot that Newmark saved and this time dragged safely off the goal line. Westport had a point blank shot just 9 yards out in the 55th minute that Newmark stopped confidently like a double-handed crossing guard stopping traffic.

The prevailing winds finally changed in Trumbull’s favor after several fouls by Westport eventually led to a penalty kick for Trumbull after Bull was tripped inside the box.

His game-winning penalty kick in the 60th minute froze the keeper in his boots, putting the hard-working Scorpions in the lead 2-1.

The remaining minutes saw Westport amp up their attack, forcing a fantastic high grab by Newmark in the 65th minute and another save in the 68th.

At the final whistle the elated U-11 Scorpions celebrated their stamped ticket to the CT Cup final in their inaugural season.

Their celebration was made even more special by the hundred or so friends, family and Trumbull United supporters who showed up to watch the away game.

The Scorpions will play league rivals Old Greenwich in the finals in Farmington on Saturday, Nov. 5.