Trumbull Scorpions win town's first CT Cup

The Trumbull United U-11 Scorpions became the first Trumbull boys team at any level to win the fall Connecticut State Cup with a 5-3 win over league rivals OGRCC Thunder Blue.

The teams faced off in the finals in Farmington on Saturday, Nov. 5, from a bracket of 68 teams across Connecticut.

Christian Moura scored the first goal for Trumbull off a short corner from Logan Blazer. Blazer had pushed the ball to Claudio Pizzicarola, who crossed the ball into the center where Moura volleyed the ball into the back netting in the sixth minute.

Owen Bull scored the second on a second-chance kick, when a 35-yard free kick bounced back to him in the 15th minute and then rolled under the grasp of the Old Greenwich keeper.

Old Greenwich fought back just four minutes later with a 20-yard strike to make it 2-1. Trumbull keeper Sean Newmark recovered well, with several saves including falling on top of a deflected corner kick to prevent a goal at the end of the half.

Continued steady and aggressive defense by Hayden Brill and Kyle Kegan kept the opposing team from getting any momentum in the attacking end.

Old Greenwich started the second half with a goal off another corner in the 37th minute to even the match. Old Greenwich then took the lead off a volley from the left at the 43rd minute.

Trumbull coach Mark Moura made some lineup changes in response to the turn of fortune. The Scorpions responded.

Kegan made a strong play at midfield and ripped a shot from outside the box that was fended off by a foot save by the OGRCC keeper. Then Bull scored his second on a feeder pass from teammate Blazer in the 45th minute.

Bull’s first shot off a pass from Blazer was saved by the keeper, but the rebound came back to Blazer and Bull turned this time with a better look, knocking the ball into the back left corner.

Winger Dylan Moreira put the Scorpions back on top just two minutes later on a ball from Christian Moreira, who dribbled through the defense and made a strong left-footed shot across the goal into the right side netting.

Trumbull solidified the win on a goal by Lander Sotil in the 67th minute.

Jack Digiovanni recovered the ball that fell to Kevin Seymour.

Seymour passed to Sotil, who dribbled and punched the ball into the lower left corner for an important insurance goal.

In the end, strong offensive pressure from Jack Carlos and Stefan Cordas kept Old Greenwich on its heels to get to the final whistle.

Hundreds of team supporters from Trumbull made the one-hour trip to cheer the team on and took part in a big celebration on the field after time ran out — a memory that will last with these boys, their coach and their families for a long time.