Trumbull advances to play in best of three series

Trumbull Post 141 defeated Greenwich, 2-1 in a nine-inning American Legion Senior Southern Division second-round state tournament game at Trumbull High on Monday.

Manager Brett Conners’ fifth-seeded team will next play a best-of-three series with fourth-seeded Cheshire (19-7) starting Wednesday for the right to compete in the  final round that begins Saturday, July 26 and runs through Sunday, Aug. 3, at Cubetta Stadium in Stamford.

Nikko Arganese (6-2) pitched a complete game five-hitter and struck out five.

Trumbull (23-6) took a 2-0 lead in bottom of the sixth inning and then held off 12th-seeded Greenwich (19-1), which scored an unearned run in the top of the seventh.

Luke Waldek drew a leadoff walk off Kyle Dunster to start the sixth and Mark Hirshbeck slapped his second hit, a single past second base.

With runners on first and second, Mat DeRienzo hit a chopper to third which moved up the runners.

Zach Sagar then singled over third to plate Waldek and Hirschbeck moved to third.

Stanley Wolpiuk followed with a suicide squeeze bunt to Dunster, and Hirscbeck beat the throw home for a 2-0 lead.

In the Greenwich seventh, Jon Dreher reached on a fielding error. Following a strike out and fly out to center, Mike Marzonie doubled to center scoring Dreher.

Trumbull threatened in the fourth after Hirschbeck doubled and DeRienzo reached on a dropped third strike, but Dunster got out of trouble.

In the Greenwich fifth, Wil Salomon led off with a single to center before Arganese caught a bunt by Marzonie and turned it into a 1-1-6 double play.

With two outs in the Greenwich sixth, Ricky Ozazaki walked and Billy O’Malley's ball to the outfield was misplayed by Matt Fasoli, who recovered to throw a strike to Sagar at the plate to get Ozazaki trying to score.

Greenwich had another chance in the eighth. Alex Loparco drew a lead-off walk and Ryan Harden bunted his way on base.

Ozazaki bunted the ball to Arganese, who fired to Hirschbeck at third. A 4-6-3 double play (Hirshbeck-Waldek-Carl Johnson) ended the threat.