Boys soccer: Trumbull Eagles edged out by Shelton, 2-1

Jason Weinstein scored the equalizer eight minutes into the the second half of Trumbull High’s Class LL boys soccer second round match at Shelton High on Wednesday night, and Eagles head coach Sebastian Gangemi was sure that goal would spark a surge by his booters.

“I thought we were going to move forward (after Weinstein’s goal), but instead they come down only once and score off a set piece,” Gangemi said after Shelton advanced with a 2-1 victory. “This was a heartbreaker.”

Trumbull, the 14th seed, finished 13-6-2.

Third-seeded Shelton (15-2-1) will play host to No. 6 seed Farmington (13-2-3) in Friday’s quarterfinal at 2.

Farmington, which defeated Shelton in last year’s state final, advanced with a 1-0 victory over 10th-seeded Greenwich.

Shelton took a 1-0 lead on Vince Mallozzi’s goal in the 6th minute, after Jack Neary put one over the top in front of Eagle goaltender Christopher Calabrese.

Trumbull began to exert pressure in the final 15 minutes of the first half, and throughout the second half.

The Eagles had a corner chance one minute after the break.

A free kick from distance and a shot on net from Nicholas Moussavian followed.

Andrew Restrepo then was rewarded for some fine forechecking and took a shot on Shelton keeper Isaac Garcia, which the junior knocked away.

Weinstein beat a defender to the rebound and his sliding shot tied the match at the 32:30 mark.

“Trumbull is very strong,” Shelton coach Isaac Montalvo said. “In an even-match game, you need to play defense first and on offense take what you can. They were looking to go over the top and were winning on the fifty-fifty (balls), so I placed number ten (Khaleed Dawkins) to stop penetration in the air.”

Trumbull kept working in the final third, with Panayiotis Xenakis’ free kick just outside the 18 blocked by the Shelton wall and retrieved by Garcia at 28:25.

Restrepo then shot one over the crossbar.

A through-ball by Moussavian to Anthony Barreira never found its mark, as Garcia was jet-quick off his line and snagged the ball before Barreira could get a foot on it.

One minute later, Shelton had a 2-1 lead.

The Gaels were awarded a free kick from midfield and strong-legged Tyler Carvalho put the ball into the box, where it found the turf and slid to the right.

Spencer Gangi was there to put it home with 24:21 remaining.

“We had ten on defense and they had three guys and they score,” Gangemi said. “It just wasn’t meant to be. Shelton is a good team.

“I’m so proud of our kids. We graduated nine starters and these guys exceeded all expectations. They went to the FCIAC final and the second round of states and they played well (in both games).

“If you had asked me before the season if that was possible, I would have said no. But this (successful season) is a credit to the kids.”