Boys hockey: Blue Wave blanks Cadets in quarterfinals

Ryan Wilson looks to defend Darien in the Division I quarterfinals. — David G. Whitham photo
Ryan Wilson looks to defend Darien in the Division I quarterfinals. — David G. Whitham photo

Darien scored three goals in the first period en route to a 6-0 victory over St. Joseph in the Division I state hockey quarterfinals at Edward L. Bennett Rink in West Haven on Saturday.

No 3 Darien (19-3) will play No. 2 Notre Dame of West Haven (15-6-1) in Wednesday’s semifinal at 5:30 or 7:30 p.m. at Ingalls Rink. The Green Knights defeated No. 7 Notre Dame of Fairfield, 6-3.

“Darien’s tough...I think the best in the state,” St. Joseph head coach J. R. Bria said. “You can’t tell the difference between their first line and their third line; and you can’t tell the difference between their first defenseman and their sixth defenseman. They got great goaltending. (Coach) Mac (Budd) does a great job with them. If he keeps them rolling they are going to be a tough team to beat.”

No. 11 St. Joseph (11-10-1) played Darien even for the first five minutes.

The Blue Wave’s Max DeBeradinis skated in on the left wing and found Jay Dickson on his right. He hit him with a pass that the senior put past Cadet goalie Ryan Wilson (35 saves) for a 1-0 lead 8:24 into the state game played between the FCIAC rivals. Connor McCarthy also had an assist.

Just 1:17 later, Scott Voigt and Owen Collins battled for control in front of Wilson before Ed Glassmeyer took possession and knocked it in for a 2-0 advantage.

Wilson made two more stops in the stanza, including two in the final minute, before Sam Knowlton tallied with 18 seconds remaining. Jake Kirby and Glassmeyer had the assists.

St. Joseph came out and played well to start the second period, with Andrew Van Etten and Evan Bocchino challenging Darien goalie David Voigt (28 saves) on consecutive faceoffs.

DeBeradinis then made it 4-0 with assists going to Harry Congdon and Ben Brown midway through the second.

St. Joseph had the game’s first power play when Collins was called for roughing with 1:50 remaining in the frame.

Will Foldesi had a hard shot that David Voigt caught.

Foldesi then threw the puck out from the back of the net toward linemate Nick DiSabella, but David Voigt trapped it with his glove.

The Cadets had more chance at cashing in on the man advantage.

Van Etten started a rush to Will Gilbert, but David Voight sticked Foldesi’s shot out of play with 2.3 on the clock.

Thirty-eight seconds into the third period, Glassmeyer was whistled off for slashing. Darien didn’t allow a shot on goal during this stretch, although Jack Pisani had a good opportunity turned aside two minutes into the session.

For the 5-0 lead, Max Romeyn gave the puck to Riley Mullin behind the net. The senior's pin-point pass found Herbie Hazelton open and he scored 3:20 into the period.

Hazelton wrapped up the scoring with a goal from Scott Voigt 6:19 into the third.