Boys basketball: Eagles hold off Cadets in nightcap

Trumbull's Jack Moore gets inside to score two of his 22 points. — David G. Whitham photo
Trumbull's Jack Moore gets inside to score two of his 22 points. — David G. Whitham photo

Trumbull High broke out to a 10-0 lead and used a strong defensive performance to turn back every St. Joseph effort to make it a barnburner in winning the second game of a Officials vs. Cancer girls-boys basketball doubleheader by a score of 69-54 before a reported crowd of 2,200 fans at Fairfield University’s Alumni Hall on Saturday night.

Jack Moore scored 22 points to lead the way for coach Buddy Bray’s Eagles, who improved to 4-1 on the season. A senior tri-captain, Moore scored had five points and an assist in the early run. He added nine points in the second period when the Eagles extended their lead from 17-10 after one period to 37-29 at the half.

Camren Menefee finished with 12 points for coach Chris Watt’s Cadets, now 1-3. Omar Telfer scored 11 points, Joe Lucy nine and Jack Moulder seven.

Johnny McElroy was a workhorse for Trumbull. The junior swingman scored 16 points, eight of them coming in the third period to help stave off a comeback attempt by the Cadets. He added a bushel of rebounds.

J.J. Pfohl ran an effective half-court set for Trumbull and unleashed the Eagles transition game when he had the numbers. A junior, Pfohl finished with 10 points.

Ben McCullough, Chris Lyons, Eddie Giovannini and Alex Recker provided Trumbull with a tough defensive grouping for the St. Joseph quick guards to beat at the rim.

Lucy knocked in his second 3-pointer to make it a 37-32 game before McElroy had a three-point play and scored on consecutive drives, the second with a hesitation move, and St. Joseph called for time down 46-32 with 5:13 remaining in the third period.

Telfer had a great dish off to Lucy for a basket and then scored on a leaner to draw the Cadets within a free throw of getting within 10 points, but Moore scored on a baseline drive to give Trumbull a 53-40 lead with eight minutes remaining.

St. Joseph's Curtis Eller scored the first three points of the final quarter before Giovannini took a pass from McElroy and rang the bell from the top of the key.

Moore scored the next three points in the game to put the Eagles comfortably in front.