Michele Jakab named new director of human services
First Selectman Tim Herbst on Friday named Michele Jakab, LMSW, as the new director of human services for the Town of Trumbull.
In her role, Jakab will be responsible for overseeing the Trumbull Senior Center and Social Services.
Jakab, a Norwalk resident, is the current outreach coordinator for the Norwalk Senior Center, a position she has held for the last eight years.
In that role, Jakab has been responsible for facilitating, supervising, overseeing, and managing all social services provided by the Norwalk Senior Center, including Norwalk Senior Center South and Meals on Wheels.
Among Jakab’s most noteworthy accomplishments:
- Co-Wrote 4 grants awarded to the Norwalk Senior Center as well as found funding for evidenced based exercise programs
- Developed and collaborated with organizations such as the YMCA, Norwalk Police Department, Norwalk Senior Umbrella, and others, to provide programing
- Created presentations and presented to over 300 caregivers, elders, and employees in the Norwalk community
- Developed a program for social work Interns at the Norwalk Senior Center;
- Created a strong outreach department that has doubled the number of clients, phone calls, and referral requests
- Started and led a caregiver support and bereavement group
- Successfully created and set high standards for diabetic, renal, pureed, low calorie, and nutritional meals for the Meals on Wheels program serving an average of 80 older adults per day
“After an extensive search process, Michele Jakab emerged as the most capable candidate to lead us forward,” said First Selectman Herbst in a press release last week. “Her background as a social worker, coupled with her extensive experience in Norwalk makes her ideally suited to lead us forward as Director of Human Services.”
The first selectman added that with the anticipated construction of a new community center, and with a desire on the part of the Town to grow programming, it was critical to have a new director that was forward thinking.
“I am confident that Michele will work to develop programming that increases participation at our senior center,” he said. “As the Town of Trumbull undertakes the process of building a new community center that will serve our senior population, I am confident that her experience will better help us in constructing a facility that is 21st century ready and prepared to meet the needs of a growing senior population here in Trumbull.”
Jakab expressed an eagerness to begin her new assignment in Trumbull.
"I am thrilled to be joining the Trumbull team and I look forward to developing many relationships at the Senior Center and in the community,” she said. “With my passion and dedication to the aging population I hope to bring wonderful programs and services to the residents of Trumbull."
Jakab holds a bachelor’s degree in social work from California State University at Long Beach, as well as a masters of social work from Southern Connecticut State University.
She and her husband Tibor reside in Norwalk with their two children.