Lakewood-Trumbull YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day
On Saturday, April 25, Lakewood-Trumbull YMCA, a branch of the Central Connecticut Coast YMCA, is holding a free community event to inspire more kids to keep their minds and bodies active. YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day, the Y’s national initiative to improve health and well-being for kids and families, features activities to motivate and teach families how to develop a healthy routine at home.
YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day, celebrated at nearly 1,300 Ys across the country, aims to get more kids moving and learning, so they can keep up the habit all summer long — a critical out-of-school time for kids’ health.
In celebration of YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day, the Y offers the following tips to help families develop healthy habits:
• Try, try, repeat — There are many great tasting fruits and vegetables that many kids have never heard of, let alone tried. Grab a new fruit or vegetable and encourage everyone in the family to try at least a bite.
• Play around town — Challenge the family to play on a different playground every week. Identify playgrounds at a variety of parks; expand definitions of playgrounds to include nature trails, a nearby stream, and a bike path.
• Families at play for an hour a day — From walking to gardening, or swimming to shooting hoops, make playful movement a part of your family’s day. To get 60 minutes of moderate activity throughout your day just add 10 minutes here and 15 minutes there.
• Foster a passion for reading — Read to and with your kids. Help children read at every age and every stage of their development.
• Make sleep a priority — Doctors recommend 10-12 hours of sleep a day for children ages 5-12 and 7-8 hours per night for adults. Sleep plays a critical role in maintaining our healthy immune system, metabolism, mood, memory, learning, and other vital functions.
The Lakewood-Trumbull YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day takes place at 20 Trefoil Drive from 10 a.m.-1 p.m., and features fun, active play and educational activities, such as martial arts demos, youth fitness classes, local mascots, a Child ID program, YMCA Bingo, the Y Camp Hi-Rock GaGa Pit, great raffles, prizes and more.
YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day is supported by TPAUD, Trumbull Partnership Against Underage Drinking and Drugs, and also supported by nationally by Humana.
For more information, contact the Lakewood-Trumbull YMCA, at 203-445-9633 or visit lakewoodtrumbully.org.