Jan. 12-18 The fire departments responded to a total of 22 calls in the last week. These calls included the following: A request to respond to the Town of Easton for a reported structure fire, a street sweeper on fire, a tire fire on a dump truck, power wires down in the roadway, smoke in a house, a motor vehicle accident involving a light pole, a possible truck fire, heavy smoke coming from a chimney, an outside odor investigation of natural gas, an open burn and a carbon monoxide alarm activation with no symptoms. In addition there were 11 fire alarms that turned out to be unintentional activations, and alarm malfunctions. For information about the volunteer fire departments, visit each department\u2019s website. For information about becoming a volunteer, call 203-459-0159. Long Hill Fire Department longhillfd.com At 17:85 hours on Jan. 13, the Long Hill Fire Department responded to Spring Hill Road in the area of Cutlers Farm Road for a report of an open burn. Firefighters arrived on scene and reported that they found the location and stated they had a resident using a burn barrel. Firefighters extinguished the fire in the barrel and advised the occupant that a permit is needed from the fire marshal to be able to burn outside. Once operations were complete, the situation was placed under control and crews returned to their quarters. Nichols Fire Department nicholsfire.com At 10:55 on Jan. 17, the Nichols Fire Department, with assistance from the Trumbull Center Fire Department, responded to Huntington Turnpike in the area of Rocky Ridge Drive for a report of a street sweeper on fire. The first arriving fire apparatus reported that the vehicle was fully involved. Crews stretched hose lines and began to extinguish the fire. Additional crews on scene assisted with salvage and overhaul to ensure the fire was out. Firefighters stood by on scene until the street sweeper could be towed away. Once crews picked up their equipment, they returned back to their stations in service. Trumbull Center\u00a0Fire Department trumbullvfc.com At 11:23 on Jan. 14, the Trumbull Center Fire Department, with assistance from the Long Hill Fire Department, responded to an Edison Road residence for a report of heavy black smoke coming from the chimney. The first arriving fire chief confirmed the dispatched report and began his investigation. Crews found a malfunctioning furnace was causing the smoke condition. Firefighters shut off the appliance to eliminate the problem. Crews also found elevated readings of carbon monoxide throughout the house. Firefighters ventilated the structure and attributed the high readings to the malfunctioning furnace. Crews advised the home owner to have the system serviced and returned back to their stations.