Kyle Navin, 27, son of missing couple Jeffrey and Jeanette Navin, is set to be arraigned Sept. 24 at 2 p.m. before Judge William I. Garfinkel in Bridgeport for a federal grand jury indictment on one count of possession of a firearm by an unlawful user of any controlled substance. Arraignment will take place in the Magistrate Courtroom, fourth Floor, Room 435, 915 Lafayette Blvd. in Bridgeport. Deirdre M. Daly, United States attorney for the District of Connecticut, Patricia M. Ferrick, special agent in charge of the New Haven Division of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Colonel Brian F. Meraviglia of the Connecticut State Police and Easton Police Chief Timothy Shaw announced the grand jury indictment on Sept. 17. Navin was previously arrested by the FBI on Sept. 8 and taken into custody on the federal firearms charge by criminal complaint. Federal, state and local law enforcement agencies on Aug. 7 began investigating the disappearance of his parents, Jeffrey and Jeanette Navin of Easton. A blue 2003 Dodge Ram pickup truck belonging to the Navins was located by the State Police on Aug. 9 in the commuter lot in Westport, off Exit 42 of the Merritt Parkway. The passenger side window of the pickup truck reportedly had been broken out, and there were shards of glass on the ground. Investigators conducted a court-authorized search of Navin\u2019s Aldine Avenue residence in Bridgeport on Aug. 13 and seized two firearms and numerous rounds of ammunition from his bedroom, as alleged in the criminal complaint. Law enforcement officers conducted a second search of Navin\u2019s residence on Aug. 19 and located and seized items indicative of substance abuse, including numerous heroin brand-stamped glassine baggies with heroin residue, hypodermic needles, empty prescription bottles for oxycodone and prescription bottles containing other controlled substances, the complaint alleges. Investigators also recovered from Navin\u2019s residence a receipt from a firearms shooting range that was issued on Aug. 5. The complaint further alleges that investigators conducted a court-authorized search of Navin\u2019s cellphone and reviewed numerous text messages that discuss his use of heroin, oxycodone and Xanax. Navin has been detained since his arrest on Sept. 8. The charge of possession of a firearm by an individual who is an unlawful user of and addicted to any controlled substance carries a maximum term of imprisonment of 10 years. An indictment is not evidence of guilt, Daly said. Charges are only allegations, and a defendant is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. The ongoing investigation is being conducted by the FBI Bridgeport Violent Crimes Task Force, Connecticut State Police Western District Major Crime Squad and the Easton Police Department, with the assistance of the State\u2019s Attorney\u2019s Office for the Fairfield Judicial District and the Westport, Weston and Bridgeport police departments. The case is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Tracy Lee Dayton. No one has been charged in connection with the missing couple. Ominous puzzle What happened to Jeffrey Navin, 56, and Jeanette Navin, 55, and where they are now remains an ominous puzzle more than seven weeks after they disappeared. The arrest warrant affidavit for Kyle Navin written by FBI Special Agent Michael Zuk contained chilling details about the day his parents disappeared and the immediate aftermath. In a text message conversation between Jeffrey Navin and Kyle Navin on Aug. 4 \u2014 the day the parents disappeared \u2014 Jeffrey said to Kyle, according to Zuk\u2019s 15-page affidavit, \u201cI\u2019m not going home till I know mom is okay. Did you hurt mom?\u201d \u201cNo, absolutely not, why would you think,\u201d Kyle said. \u201cI go home and get framed for murder,\u201d Jeffrey said. Later in the conversation, Jeffrey texted, \u201cUR are setting me up,\u201d the affidavit states. Kyle Navin is being represented by attorney Eugene J. Riccio of Bridgeport, who said in a phone call Sept. 16 that he could not comment on the case. Kyle Navin is the operations manager of his father\u2019s sanitation company, J&J Refuse of Westport, and was reportedly the last person to have seen his parents on Aug. 4. He is a 2006 graduate of Weston High School where he was a star hockey athlete. Jeanette Navin is a longtime library paraprofessional with the Weston public schools. Weston Schools Superintendent Colleen Palmer has called her a \u201cbeloved employee.\u201d Jeffrey and Jeanette Navin had been living in a home on Osborn Farm Road in Weston since 1994. It was in Jeanette\u2019s name only, and she sold the home in June for $900,000. The couple moved to a more modest rental home on Staples Road in Easton, where they lived before their disappearance. The missing couple case darkened as the search led State Police to a search of a landfill in Putnam. During the week of Aug. 18, State Police detectives conducted a search of the Putnam Ash Residue Landfill, operated by Wheelabrator Technologies, according to a statement issued by Kelly Grant, public information officer with the Connecticut State Police. Police have also combed fields at the end of Sunset Road in Easton, which abuts a farm, and in Weston, near the couple\u2019s former residence. Financial problems Court records show that Jeffrey Navin received bad news about two legal cases less than two weeks before the couple disappeared. Both involve property Navin owns at 7 Hart Landing in Guilford. In one case, a $139,101.49 judgment was issued against Navin in favor of Connecticut Light & Power for unpaid electric bills. The other case involves a pending foreclosure by HSBC Bank for more than $2 million Navin owes in mortgage costs. Court records also showed an additional, older foreclosure of record brought by OCWEN Federal Bank against other property owned by Jeffrey and Jeannette Navin.