Volunteer fire department's Fire Log - March 10-16

March 10-16

The fire departments responded to a total of 21 calls in last week. These calls included the following: Two separate motor vehicle accident fluid spills, an oven fire, a power wire down, a chimney fire, a request to assist the Police Department and EMS with gaining access to a patient, two separate calls for a water problem in a house, a car fire, a request to assist EMS with lifting a patient, a motor vehicle accident involving a tree, and a report of excessive smoke coming from a chimney.

In addition there were nine fire alarms that turned out to be unintentional activations, and alarm malfunctions.

For information about the volunteer fire departments, visit each department’s website.

For information about becoming a volunteer, call 203-459-0159.

Long Hill Fire Department


At 13:52 hours on March 11, the Long Hill Fire Department, with assistance from the Trumbull Center Fire Department, responded to a reported car fire on Park Avenue in the area of the Merritt Parkway. The first arriving fire apparatus on scene reported a single car off to the side of the road with nothing showing. Crews investigated the car and found it had overheated and was not on fire. Firefighters made sure the car’s occupant had a repair service en route prior to clearing from the scene.

Crews were then released and returned back to their stations.

Nichols Fire Department


At 19:11 hours on March 14, the Nichols Fire Department responded to a Stowe Place residence for a report of a chimney fire. Crews responded to the scene with the first arriving fire chief reporting nothing showing upon arrival. Crews checked the structure for any signs of fire in the structure and found a light smoke condition. Firefighters removed the burning wood that was in the fireplace from the house. Crews also used a thermal imaging camera to check the area around the chimney for any signs of hidden fire. Once the investigation was complete, firefighters used fans to remove any residual smoke form the house.

Once the situation was placed under control, units were released to return to their station.

Trumbull Center 

Fire Department


At 21:21 on March 15, the Trumbull Center Fire Department responded to a Midland Road residence for an oven fire. The first arriving fire chief arrived on scene and began to investigate the report. During the investigation the chief reported that the heating element in the oven had shorted out and began to burn. Once power was disconnected to the appliance crews checked the surrounding area to the oven with a thermal imaging camera for any hidden fire.

Once their investigation was complete, crews were released from the scene to return to their stations.