Volunteer fire department's Fire Log - Feb. 27-March 2

Feb. 27-March 2

The fire departments responded to a total of 21 calls in last week. These calls included the following: A motor vehicle accident fluid spill, a problem with an electrical oven, a vehicle leaking gasoline, an unknown type of alarm, two separate calls for water in the basement, an unknown type of fluid spill, two separate calls for power wires down in the roadway, an odor of something burning in a house, a motor vehicle accident rollover, an odor of natural gas in a residence, and a request to assist EMS.

In addition there were seven fire alarms that turned out to be unintentional activations, and alarm malfunctions.

For information about the volunteer fire departments, visit each department’s website.

For information about becoming a volunteer, call 203-459-0159.

Long Hill Fire Department


At 21:27 hours on Feb. 25, the Long Hill Fire Department responded to Route 15 northbound, north of exit 48 for a motor vehicle accident rollover. The first arriving fire chief reported a car on its roof on the right hand side of the highway. Crews checked the overturned vehicle for possible hazards and any possible trapped occupants in the vehicle. Firefighters used their apparatus to create a safety zone on the highway so crews could work safely. Crews stood by on scene until the vehicle was up righted and removed by the tow truck.

Once the highway was clear, units were released and returned back to their stations.

Nichols Fire Department


At 20:50 hours on Feb. 26, the Nichols Fire Department responded to a Woodcrest Avenue residence for a report of an odor of something burning in the house. Firefighters began to investigate the residence and confirmed an odor in the house. Firefighters were able to narrow the odor to a problem with a breaker in the electrical panel. Firefighters isolated the breaker and shut off power to the device. Crews advised the homeowner to have an electrician service the panel before using that breaker again.

Once the situation was placed under control units were released to return to their station.

Trumbull Center 

Fire Department


At 20:18 on Feb. 25, the Trumbull Center Fire Department, with assistance from the Nichols and Long Hill Fire Departments, responded to an Avalon Gates property for a report of an odor of gas in a residence. Firefighters arrived on scene and began their investigation. During their investigation, it was determined that the odor was not natural gas or gasoline but was lighter fluid that was used to start a charcoal grill. Crews also checked the neighboring residences to ensure there was no additional odor from the charcoal grill in the building. Firefighters naturally ventilated the building to aid in removing any residual scent.

Once this was complete, apparatus were placed back in service and were released from the scene to return.