Volunteer fire department's Fire Log - April 14-20

April 14-20

The fire departments responded to a total of 16 calls in last week. These calls included the following: A carbon monoxide alarm activation with no symptoms, heavy smoke coming from a chimney, a motor vehicle accident fluid spill, a natural gas leak, a request to render aid for a lift assist, a reported problem with an oven, a malfunctioning appliance, and a motor vehicle accident involving a utility pole.

In addition there were eight fire alarms that turned out to be unintentional activations, and alarm malfunctions.

For information about the volunteer fire departments, visit each department’s website.

For information about becoming a volunteer, call 203-459-0159.

Long Hill Fire Department


At 09: 35 hours on April 14, the Long Hill Fire Department responded to the intersection of Madison Avenue and Maple Street for a reported motor vehicle accident into a utility pole. The first arriving fire apparatus reported a single car was involved with no signs of entrapment. Crews reported that the utility pole and been snapped and was structurally compromised from the accident. Firefighters stood by on scene until the utility companies could arrive on scene to replace the pole.

Once crews handed the scene over to the utility company, units were released and returned back to their stations.

Nichols Fire Department


At 09:28 hours on April 19, the Nichols Fire Department, with assistance from the Trumbull Center and Long Hill Fire Departments, responded to a Merritt Boulevard commercial property for a reported natural gas leak. While units were responding, they were advised that contactors on scene were digging and hit a gas line. Firefighters arrived on scene and began their investigation. Firefighters were able to determine this was a propane line that went from a tank to the buildings generator. Firefighters were able to close the valve on the tank, thus stopping the leak. Crews monitored the site to ensure there were no other hazards on scene.

Once complete, crews were then released from the scene to return to their stations.

Trumbull Center 

Fire Department


At 16:57 on April 20, the Trumbull Center Fire Department responded to an Evergreen Lane residence for an activated carbon monoxide alarm with no reported symptoms. Firefighters arrived on scene and began to meter the structure for any elevated hazards. Crews checked for possible carbon monoxide problems with meters and found no elevated readings. Firefighters attributed the alarm to a faulty detector and advised the occupant to replace it.

Crews were then released from the scene to return to quarters.