UPDATED: No smoke detectors at burned Frederick Street home

UPDATE: There were no working smoke detectors inside the Frederick Street house damaged by fire this morning, according to Long Hill Deputy Fire Chief Alex Rauso.

Rauso said the homeowner heard crackling sounds and saw a large fire in the kitchen at 6:08 a.m. He was able to get out of the house on his own and firefighters were able to get the fire under control in about 10 minutes. The home suffered moderate smoke and fire damage, Rauso said.

Fire Marshal Megan Murphy later determined that the fire was caused by combustible items left on top of the stove.

The Long Hill Fire Dept. and Fire Marshal's Office both took the opportunity to remind residents of the importance of having smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors in homes.

Red Cross volunteers provided the homeowner with a personal comfort kit containing personal care items such as toothbrushes, deodorant; shaving supplies and other items a resident might not have been able to gather in the rush to escape the fire. In addition, a recovery envelope containing information helpful to families recovering from a fire, including tips on cleanup; notification of important contacts; dealing with damaged items and more was provided.

Long Hill Chief Doug Bogen said by the time responders arrived smoke was billowing out from under the eaves and the flames had spread to the kitchen cabinets and along the ceiling.