Jan. 26-Feb. 1

The fire departments responded to a total of 17 calls in the last week. These calls included the following: A motor vehicle accident involving a utility pole, a residential lockout, three separate carbon monoxide alarm activation with no symptoms, a motor vehicle accident involving a tree, a request to assist in searching for a missing person, mutual aid to the Town of Shelton for station coverage, an odor if natural gas in a building, and a car fire.

In addition there were 7 fire alarms that turned out to be unintentional activations, and alarm malfunctions.

For information about the volunteer fire departments, visit each department’s website.

For information about becoming a volunteer, call 203-459-0159.

Long Hill Fire Department

longhillfd.com

At 16:30 hours on Jan. 26, the Long Hill Fire Department responded to the commuter parking lot on Broadway for a possible car fire. The first arriving fire chief reported nothing showing and began to investigate the situation. Crews found a blown hose on the motor that had caused a smoke condition in the engine compartment. Firefighters stood by on scene until the vehicle was towed from the parking lot.

Once completed, crews returned to their quarters.

Nichols Fire Department

nicholsfire.com

At 01:06 on Jan. 29, the Nichols Fire Department was requested to respond to the Town of Shelton to Huntington Fire Company 3 for station coverage. Nichols Fire Department responded with an engine and a chief for the assignment. While the crew was standing by, they responded to a fire alarm that turned out to be a smoke condition in a house from a fireplace, a carbon monoxide alarm activation, and then they assisted the Shelton firefighters with performing a grid search of an area looking for a missing person. The Nichols firefighters were released from their assignments and retained back to quarters at 04:23 in the morning.

The Nichols Fire Department provided seven firefighters for this call to the Town of Shelton.

Trumbull Center 

Fire Department

trumbullvfc.com

At 17:10 on Jan. 27, the Trumbull Center Fire Department, with assistance from the Long Hill Fire Department, responded to a Hawthorne Ridge Circle residence for an activated fire alarm. Crews were updated while responding that the cause of the alarm was from smoke from cooking. Firefighters investigated the situation and found a light smoke condition in the house. Crews naturally ventilated the structure to aid in removing any residual smoke from the house.

Once the investigation was complete crews all returned back to their stations.