Trumbull volunteer fire department's Fire Log - Feb. 2-8

The fire departments responded to a total of 22 calls in the last week. These calls included the following: A motor vehicle accident fluid spill, an electrical outlet fire, two separate requests to assist EMS on the highway with a motor vehicle accident with injuries, an outside odor of natural gas, a motor vehicle accident rollover, a possible oven fire, a car fire, a motor vehicle accident into a tree with entrapment, and four separate carbon monoxide alarms with no symptoms.

In addition there were nine fire alarms that turned out to be unintentional activations, and alarm malfunctions.

For information about the volunteer fire departments, visit each department’s website.

For information about becoming a volunteer, call 203-459-0159.

Long Hill Fire Department

At 08:25 hours on Feb. 8, the Long Hill Fire Department, with assistance from the Trumbull Center Fire Department, responded to a John Street residence for an electrical outlet fire. The first arriving fire chief reported a light switch had melted and there was charring on the wall. Firefighters used a thermal imaging camera to check in the wall for any possible hidden fire. Crews disconnected power to that part of house and advised the home owner to have an electrician repair the light switch before using it again.

Once the firefighters investigation was completed crews returned to their quarters.

Nichols Fire Department

At 11:09 on Feb. 7, the Nichols Fire Department, with assistance from the Trumbull Center Fire Department, responded to a Greenbrier Road residence for an activated carbon monoxide alarm with no symptoms. Crews metered the structure and found no elevated readings of carbon monoxide. After completing a secondary metering of the house and finding no hazards it was reported that the cause of the alarm was from a faulty detector.

Crews advised the home owner to replace the detector and then returned to service.

Trumbull Center 

Fire Department

At 17:06 on Feb. 4, the Trumbull Center Fire Department responded to a report of an outside odor of natural gas on Lillian Drive. The first arriving fire chief confirmed an odor and crews began to check the area for the source. Firefighters found a 100 pound propane tank on the next street over that was left in the open position.

Once the tank had been secured the situation was placed under control. Crews then were placed in service and retuned back to their stations.