Trumbull volunteer fire department's Fire Log - March 9-15

March 9-15

The fire departments responded to a total of 20 calls in the last week. These calls included the following: Two separate carbon monoxide alarm activation with no symptoms, a water problem in a house, three separate fallen trees on power wires, a tree down on a house, two separate calls for an odor of natural gas in a residence, power wire down in the roadway, a person with their hand trapped in a console, and a reported electrical odor in a house.

In addition there were eight fire alarms that turned out to be unintentional activations, and alarm malfunctions.

For information about the volunteer fire departments, visit each department’s website.

For information about becoming a volunteer, call 203-459-0159.

Long Hill Fire Department

At 01:27 hours on March 13, the Long Hill Fire Department responded to a Cottage Street residence for a report of a tree that had fallen and hit a house. The first arriving fire chief confirmed the initial dispatch and began to investigate the situation. Firefighters checked the structure for any possible additional hazards and shut down power to the effected part of the residence as a precaution. Firefighters stood by on scene until the building official arrived.

Once the rest of the structure was deemed safe by the building official the situation was placed under control and crews were released. Firefighters then returned back to their stations.

Nichols Fire Department

At 11:22 on March 14, the Nichols Fire Department responded to a Leffert Road residence for an activated carbon monoxide alarm with no symptoms. Firefighters arrived on scene and began their investigation by metering the house for any possible hazards. An additional crew on scene began a secondary investigation of the structure also metering for hazards. Crews found no elevated readings of carbon monoxide in the residence and attributed the alarm to a faulty detector.

Once their investigation was complete crews were released to return to their stations.

Trumbull Center Fire Department

At 18:22 on March 9, the Trumbull Center Fire Department responded to a Rebecca Drive residence for a report of an electrical odor in the house. Firefighters arrived and began their investigation. Crews were advised by the home owner of an electrical outlet that had charring around it. Firefighters checked the wall around the outlet to ensure there was no hidden fire. Crews were able to isolate the power to that area and disconnect it. Firefighters advised the homeowner to have an electrician service the outlet prior to using it again.

Once the situation was placed under control firefighters cleared the scene and returned back to their stations.