April 27-May 3

The fire departments responded to a total of 21 calls in the last week. These calls included the following: A report of smoke in the area, a request to assist EMS at the scene of a motor vehicle accident with injuries, smoke coming from a car, an odor investigation in a house, a stove fire reported to be out, a car fire, a request to assist EMS and the Police Department with removing an injured person from the Valley Trail, power wires down in the road, four separate reports of water in the basement with utilities threatened, a carbon monoxide alarm activation with no symptoms, and a possible structure fire.

In addition there were six fire alarms that turned out to be unintentional activations, and alarm malfunctions.

For information about the volunteer fire departments, visit each department’s website.

For information about becoming a volunteer, call 203-459-0159.

Long Hill Fire Department

longhillfd.com

At 15:30 hours on April 28, the Long Hill Fire Department responded to Route 15 northbound at exit 49 to assist EMS at the scene of a motor vehicle accident with injuries. The first arriving fire apparatus staged on the highway and blocked off the travel lane that the cars involved in the accident were in. Crews provided a safe working area for the medical crews as they preformed patient care. Firefighters reported no other hazards from the vehicles involved in the accident.

Once the situation was placed under control the crews were released from the scene.

Nichols Fire Department

nicholsfire.com

At 23:00 on April 29, the Nichols Fire Department responded to Route 8 northbound prior to exit 11 for a possible car fire. The first arriving fire chief on scene confirmed the initial dispatch and stated that the vehicle was fully involved. Firefighters stretched hose lines and began to extinguish the fire. Crews overhauled the burned vehicle to ensure it was completely out. Firefighters stood by on scene until the vehicle was removed from the highway by the tow truck.

Once the scene was clear crews returned back to their stations.

Trumbull Center 

Fire Department

trumbullvfc.com

At 03:50 on April 28, the Trumbull Center Fire Department responded to a Linley Road residence for an activated carbon monoxide alarm with no symptoms. Crews arrived on scene and began to meter the structure for any possible hazards. After performing additional checks throughout the structure, it was determined that there were no hazards present and that the cause of the alarm was a faulty detector.

Once the situation was placed under control units cleared the scene and returned.