March 31-April 6

The fire departments responded to a total of 16 calls in last week. These calls included the following: An odor of electrical burning, a motor vehicle accident involving a utility pole with entrapment, a tree branch on power lines that were sparking, two separate motor vehicle accidents involving a tree, a brush fire, a gas grill fire, a reported odor of smoke in a residence, possible car fire, a carbon monoxide alarm activation with no symptoms, and a report of smoke coming from the deck of a residence.

In addition there were five fire alarms that turned out to be unintentional activations, and alarm malfunctions.

For information about the volunteer fire departments, visit each department’s website.

For information about becoming a volunteer, call 203-459-0159.

Long Hill Fire Department

longhillfd.com

At 23:16 hours on April 4, the Long Hill Fire Department, with assistance from the Trumbull Center Fire Department, responded to the intersection of Main Street and Arganse Place for a motor vehicle accident involving a utility pole with reported entrapment. The first arriving fire chief reported back there was a vehicle on its side and stated that all of the car’s occupants were out. Firefighters disconnected the battery to the car to minimize any additional possible hazards. Crews also reported that the base of the utility pole had been snapped. Firefighters stood by on scene until the car could be uprighted and removed. Trumbull police officers stood by on scene until the utility company could come out to inspect the pole.

Once crews picked up the equipment that they used, crews were released and returned back to their stations.

Nichols Fire Department

nicholsfire.com

At 22:06 hours on April 6, the Nichols Fire Department responded to a Greenbrier Road residence for a report of an electrical burning odor in the residence. The first arriving fire chief on scene began an interior investigation and reported to incoming crews there was a light haze in the kitchen. Firefighters narrowed the odor down to a kitchen light ballast that had shorted out creating the odor. Firefighters removed the burnt out ballast from the ceiling to ensure there was no hidden fire in the ceiling. Crews naturally ventilated the house to remove any residual odor.

Once complete, crews were then released from the scene to return to their stations.

Trumbull Center 

Fire Department

trumbullvfc.com

At 02:46 on April 3, the Trumbull Center Fire Department, with assistance from the Nichols Fire Department, responded to a Hedgehog Circle residence for an odor of smoke. The first arriving fire chief was advised there was food that was left on the stove causing the smoke condition throughout the residence. Firefighters used a fan to ventilate the residence to remove the smoke. Crews stood by on scene and metered the structure for possible hazards.

Once this was completed, crews were then released to return to their stations.