Trumbull volunteer fire department's Fire Log - May 5-11

May 5-11

The fire departments responded to a total of 20 calls in last week. These calls included the following: A gasoline spill on the roadway, a utility pole smoking, a tree branch on power lines, a brush fire, a request to the Town of Shelton for a specialized piece of fire apparatus, two separate illegal burns, a reported odor of natural gas in a building, station coverage for Huntington Fire Company #3, a basement fire reported to be out, a motor vehicle accident fluid spill, an odor of smoke in a building, and an activated carbon monoxide alarm with no symptoms.

In addition there were seven fire alarms that turned out to be unintentional activations, and alarm malfunctions.

For information about the volunteer fire departments, visit each department’s website.

For information about becoming a volunteer, call 203-459-0159.

Long Hill Fire Department

At 10:39 hours on May 5, the Long Hill Fire Department responded to a commercial property on Quality Street, for a report of an odor of smoke in the building. The first arriving fire chief began his investigation by meeting up with the store’s manager to investigate the area of the odor. Crews detected an odor present but were unable to find where it was coming from due to the dissipation of the smell. After a secondary investigation crews advised the occupants that if the odor returns to immediately call the fire department for an additional investigation.

Once the situation was placed under control, units were released and returned back to their stations.

Nichols Fire Department

At 20:18 hours on May 5, the Nichols Fire Department responded to the rear of an Old Dyke Road residence for a reported unauthorized burn. Firefighters found a house that was under construction and a contractor that had been burning scrap material in a metal barrel. Crews advised the contractor of a burning ban that was in place and that he would need a permit to burn once the ban is lifted. Firefighters extinguished the fire and saturated the area to ensure there were no hot spots from the fire on the ground.

Upon completion of this, crews were released to return to back to their quarters in service.

Trumbull Center 

Fire Department

At 07:17 on May 8, the Trumbull Center Fire Department responded to a Lawrence Road residence for a reported brush fire. The first arriving fire apparatus reported a small fire in the back yard of the property and they were going to start to extinguish it. Firefighters determined this was the home’s owner that was burning brush without a permit and advised the homeowner that a burning permit needed to be obtained through the fire marshal for any future burning. Crews also advised the resident that there was currently a ban on all burning due to the extreme dry conditions throughout the state.

Firefighters thoroughly saturated the area with water to ensure the fire was completely out. Once complete, crews were then released from the scene to return to their quarters.