May 19-25

The fire departments responded to a total of 20 calls in last week. These calls included the following: A tree on a house with power wires down, a request to assist Trumbull Police Department with getting access to a person, four separate requests to assist EMS on the highway, a motor vehicle accident fluid spill, a report of smoke in a room at a care facility, a kitchen fire, a tree down across the roadway with power wires, a carbon monoxide alarm activation with no symptoms, a gasoline spill, and a motor vehicle accident with injuries off the road into the woods.

In addition there were seven fire alarms that turned out to be unintentional activations, and alarm malfunctions.

For information about the volunteer fire departments, visit each department’s website.

For information about becoming a volunteer, call 203-459-0159.

Long Hill Fire Department

longhillfd.com

At 09:53 hours on May 23, the Long Hill Fire Department responded to Rt. 15 Northbound, between exits 48 and 49, to assist EMS at a motor vehicle accident with injuries. The first arriving fire apparatus on scene reported that there was one car into the guard rail and that Police and EMS were already on scene. Firefighters used their fire apparatus to provide a safe area on the highway for the crews by positioning the fire truck in the travel lane behind the accident. Firefighters stood by on scene until the medical units cleared from the accident.

Once the situation was placed under control, units were released and returned back to their stations.

Nichols Fire Department

nicholsfire.com

At 16:34 hours on May 19, the Nichols Fire Department responded to a Red Fox Lane residence for an activated carbon monoxide alarm with no symptoms. Firefighters arrived on scene and began to meter the structure for hazards. Crews found elevated readings of carbon monoxide in the structure and were able to attribute it to a catering truck running near a basement door. Firefighters ventilated the house and re-metered the structure to ensure the carbon monoxide levels were at a safe reading.

Upon completion of this, crews were released to return back to their quarters in service.

Trumbull Center 

Fire Department

trumbullvfc.com

At 08:06 on May 20, the Trumbull Center Fire Department, with assistance from the Long Hill and Nichols Fire Departments, responded to a Lindeman Drive care facility for a reported kitchen fire. The first arriving fire chief arrived on scene and began to investigate the situation. Crews found an electrical outlet had shorted out and started a fire in a kitchen wall. The fire had been extinguished prior to the fire departments arrival by a pre-action extinguishing system. The Trumbull fire marshal’s office also responded to the scene to investigate the fire. Crews checked the walls for signs of hidden fire by using a thermal imaging camera to check for hot spots. The Health Department was also notified and responded to the scene to assist in the mitigation of the problem in the kitchen so it could be re-opened.

Once the situation was placed under control, crews were then released from the scene to return to their quarters.