The Nichols and Trumbull Center fire departments blanketed a chimney fire at a Hemlock Trail residence at 4:32 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 16.

The first fire chief at the scene reported that there was a heavy smoke condition coming from the residence and requested structure fire protocol.

Once structure fire protocol was implemented by the Long Hill Fire Department.

Crews on scene established a water supply and used ground ladders to access the chimney top from the roof, according to the Trumbull Volunteer Fire Company, No. 1, Inc.

“Interior crews reported that the fire was isolated to the chimney and had not spread to the structure,” a Facebook post said. “From the rooftop firefighters used chimney chains to dislodge burning debris and creosote from the chimney.”

Firefighters used a booster line with a chimney nozzle to extinguish the fire in the chimney. Once the fire was confirmed to be out crews overhauled the fireplace and continued to check for hot spots with the thermal imaging camera.

Crews were released from the scene once the situation was placed under control.