The Trumbull Police Department announced Monday afternoon that there remains an ongoing investigation into disturbing comments made by two Trumbull High School students in an online conversation about the three-year anniversary of the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

Trumbull cops received a complaint Sunday, Dec. 13 around 10:45 p.m. that two 15-year-old male students were engaged in an exchange that threatened school safety.

Throughout the night, police identified the two students involved and seized computers from their homes for forensic evaluation.

At the present time, the police have not found any credible information that any person or building is in danger today or on any planned date.

“The police department did not find any specific or credible risk that anyone’s safety would be compromised, and it was jointly determined that Trumbull High School was safe to open today,” Superintendent Dr. Gary Cialfi said. “Chief Lombardo and I had previously prepared to increase police presence at all Trumbull schools today in preparation of the third anniversary of the tragic Sandy Hook shooting.”

First Selectman Tim Herbst said that the police officers “moved swiftly in responding to this disturbing matter.

“I am grateful for their immediate response,” he added. “The investigation is ongoing and if the police find any credible evidence of criminal activity, the community can be assured that we will prosecute to the fullest extent permitted by law.

“We take situations of this nature very seriously and Chief Lombardo, Dr. Cialfi and I remain committed to keeping the children of Trumbull safe.”