Storm report: Wires entangle Trumbull school bus

Tree across the line on Driftwod Lane. - Warren Rockmacher photo
Tree across the line on Driftwod Lane. — Warren Rockmacher photo

Trumbull took a beating Wednesday night when a wind storm with gusts of 43 miles per hour tore through the town, leaving more than 100 residents without power and knocking down numerous trees and wires.

The aftermath turned scary Thursday morning when a Trumbull school bus got entangled with several live wires on Bassick Road around 7 a.m., according to Deputy Chief Alex Rauso of Long Hill Fire Department.

"The wires were on top of the school bus and we had to wait for UI to arrive on the scene to make sure the power was isolated before the children could be removed," Rauso told The Times Thursday morning.

He said that five students were inside the vehicle when the incident occurred.

Trumbull Public Schools were not on delay this morning, leaving Trumbull High School to open its doors for the regular 7:25 a.m. start time.

"My guess is that a couple of bigger trees fell this morning," Rauso said. "They were loosened over time and the finally cracked and let go in the early morning.

"It's hard to say what happened," he continued. "There were a lot of wires and trees down all around town, and a lot of roads were blocked last night and continued to be blocked this morning."

The deputy chief said the Long Hill section of town "looked like a war zone" Thursday morning.

The worst damage reported was on Stonehouse Road and Bullfrog Lane where downed live wires quickly turned into fires that forced representatives from the United Illuminating Company to cut electricity in the respective areas Wednesday night and early Thursday morning.

"The wires were arching down and the fire was spreading pretty rapidly," said Rauso, who's department arrived on the scene along with UI workers. "Power was shut down and the fire was contained."

There was no reported damage to any homes or vehicles, he added.

According to the UI outage map, 111 out of 13,916 customers remained without power around noon Thursday, Feb. 25.

"Hopefully their trucks stay in town for a while and don't get pulled out," Rauso said. "It's hard to say how much longer they'll be here."