Potentially hazardous situation in Trumbull Friday night

Firefighters and other responders — including a geologist, according to reports — are investigating a potentially hazardous situation in Trumbull Friday evening.

"Trumbull Center Fire Dept is currently operating in the area of Plumb Creek Rd to investigate potentially elevated levels of carbon monoxide in the area," according to a post at the Trumbull Emergency Medical Services Facebook page. At this point the activities are precautionary measures in response to a localized incident."

The Long Hill Volunteer Fire Company No. 1 echoed that the incident was localized in a Facebook post around 9 p.m. Friday.

Fire crews from Monroe and Shelton are reportedly providing coverage at Trumbull firehouses.

A post at the Facebook page CT Fire and Rescue incidents reported that a hazmat team, bomb squad and geologist are all at the scene of a "carbon monoxide ground leak in several places."

The incident reportedly began with a series of carbon monoxide alarms that began Thursday night and continued Friday, according to Facebook posts.

Plumb Creek Road runs between Aspen Road and Porters Hill Road, east of Old Mine Park.

According to the Connecticut Department of Public Health website, "Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless and deadly gas produced by the incomplete burning of fossil fuels used in appliances such as furnaces and portable gas generators."

There is no word on anyone suffering symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. According to the state Department of Public Health, "Symptoms for carbon monoxide poisoning often are the same as for the cold or flu."

Symptoms for carbon monoxide poisoning are headache, fatigue, dizziness and nausea, according to the Department of Public Health.