One person taken to the hospital following basement fire

Firefighters knocked down a basement fire Tuesday, according to Trumbull Volunteer Fire Company No. 1.

The fire was in the basement of a home in the area of Edison and Arden Roads, volunteers said. Trumbull Center, Long Hill and Nichols Fire Departments responded to the scene. Upon arrival smoke was showing from the structure and firefighters entered through a cellar door to find the working basement fire, with high heat.

"Fire was quickly extinguished, allowing for ventilation allowing for ventilation of high carbon monoxide levels to begin salvage work," Trumbull Volunteer Fire Company wrote in an update on its Facebook page. "The fire was contained to the basement and the cause was accidental."

One occupant of the home was transported to the hospital for evaluation.