Snowy Owl photo contest seeks entries
This has been an incredible winter for Snowy Owl sightings in our area. Connecticut Audubon Society is looking to you to help celebrate and raise awareness of these beautiful birds.
Now Connecticut Audubon Society is inviting birders to enter its Snowy Owl Observation Contest by sharing their experiences. First prize is $300; there will also be two $100 honorable mention prizes.
How to enter
Submit a photo, video, or written piece about your experience seeing a Snowy Owl. Be as creative as you’d like. At the end of the season, we will pick a $300 grand prize winner and two $100 honorable mentions.
Post your submission to Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram using the #CTSnowyOwl hashtag. Posts with #CTSnowyOwl will automatically be published on Connecticut Audubon’s website.
Some tips and guidelines
• Don’t forget to include where and when you saw the bird.
• If you’re submitting a photo, don’t limit yourself to close-ups: a shot of a landscape with a Snowy Owl in the distance would be great also.
• If you haven’t seen a Snowy yet, it’s not too late. Snowies have been seen across our shoreline, including at the beaches and marshes in Stratford; Milford Point Coastal Center; Long Wharf in New Haven; and Great Island in Old Lyme.
• It is very important that you take photos from afar, to avoid disturbing the birds. The best locations are often where you see other birders gathering to observe.
• If you’re not a social media user, you can e-mail your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org, and they will post your submission for you.
Connecticut Audubon Society employees and their families are not eligible to win (but they can enter anyway). Winners will be chosen at staff discretion. Contest winner decisions are final.