Schedule of flu clinics - expansion of insurance providers
The Trumbull Monroe Health District (TMHD) will be holding several flu clinics this fall for pneumonia and seasonal flu vaccinations. Anyone 6 months of age and older are encouraged to get vaccinated.
TMHD has injectable vaccine for those 6 months and older. Flumist, the nasal spray, is available for those 2 to 49 years of age without a history of wheezing or asthma. Home visits can be made for those who are homebound. If you have specific vaccine questions, contact TMHD at 203-452-5195 and ask to speak to the public health nurse.
“TMHD has announced the expansion of insurance providers for this year’s vaccine,” said Patrice Sulik, TMHD Director of Health. “We now accept Aetna and Cigna as well as Anthem, Connecticare and Medicare, Part B for both flu and pneumonia vaccinations. TMHD flu clinics are offered at various times/locations in the community, providing convenience to residents, as well as members of our daytime community.” Proceeds received from the flu vaccination clinics allow TMHD to provide more programs and services to the community.
There are no residency requirements and no appointments are necessary for these clinics. The cash price for flu vaccination is $25 (cash and checks accepted). All insurance cards must be brought to the clinic for billing purposes, as well as a driver’s license (if you have one). Participants are responsible for the insurance co-pay or deductible at the time of vaccination. If your insurance company does not fully cover the cost of the vaccination, TMHD will bill you the balance. Residents who are unable to pay the vaccination fee or who are unable to attend the above clinic times should contact the Public Health Nurse.
Also available at the flu clinics are pneumonia vaccinations. The pneumonia vaccine is recommended for:
• All adults 65 years of age and older
• Anyone 2-64 years of age who is a smoker or has asthma or has a condition that lowers the body’s resistance to infection. The cost for the pneumonia vaccine is $60. All co-pays and deductibles must be paid by the participant.
Trumbull Monroe Health District is located at 2 Corporate Drive, Suite 116, in Trumbull. Seasonal flu clinics are planned for:
• Thursday, Sept. 19, 2-4 p.m., Trumbull Monroe Health District
• Monday, Sept. 23, 9-11:30 a.m., Trumbull Monroe Health District
• Tuesday, Sept. 24, 9-10:30 a.m., Grace Episcopal Church, 5958 Main Street, Trumbull
• Wednesday, Sept. 25, 9-11 a.m., Monroe Town Hall, 7 Fan Hill Road, Monroe
• Tuesday, Oct. 1, noon-2 p.m., Monroe Senior Center, 235 Cutler’s Farm Road, Monroe for ages 55 and older
• Thursday, Oct. 3, 3-6 p.m., Trumbull Monroe Health District
• Wednesday, Oct. 9, 2-4 p.m., Trumbull Monroe Health District
• Friday, Oct. 11, 7:30-10:30 a.m., Trumbull Monroe Health District
“Prevention is the best means to help stop the spread of seasonal flu,” said Sulik. “TMHD is committed to vaccinating our residents, particularly those who are at high risk of complications from influenza.”