Lead free kids for a health future is the motto of National Lead Poisoning Prevention Week, which is going on this week through Saturday, Oct. 31.

Connecticut’s Department of Public Health is asking residents to get rid of lead dust by wet cleaning, get children tested and get facts from local health departments to stay informed.

The Trumbull Health Department wants parents to know that childhood lead poisoning is considered the most preventable environmental disease among young children, yet an estimated 1 million children are affected. A simple blood test can prevent permanent damage that will last a lifetime. If lead poisoning is not detected early, children with high levels of lead in their bodies can suffer from damage to the brain and nervous system, behavior and learning problems (such as hyperactivity), slowed growth, hearing problems and aggressive behavior.

The most common pathway for lead poisoning is caused by deteriorating lead-based paint (on older windows, doors and trim, or walls) or through improper renovation, repair and painting activities that cause paint to chip, peel, or flake. Children are frequently poisoned by ingesting lead dust that has accumulated on their hands, fingers, toys, or clothing from lead hazard sources like floors and windowsills.

The Trumbull Health Department joins the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development in encouraging parents to learn more about how to prevent lead poisoning. For more information on lead poisoning and testing visit http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/lead/infographic.htm

For more information, call the Trumbull Health Department at 203-452-1033 or visit cdc.gov/nceh/lead.