Trumbull volunteer fire department's Fire Log - Nov. 24-Dec. 7

Nov. 24-Dec. 7

The fire departments responded to a total of 54 calls in the last two weeks. These calls included the following: A motor vehicle accident involving a mailbox, an odor of smoke in a commercial building, a motor vehicle accident into a stone wall, power wires sparking on a utility pole, three reports of an outside odor of natural gas, two separate motor vehicle accidents with fluid spills, a carbon monoxide alarm activation with symptoms, a smoke condition in a house, four separate requests to assist EMS on the highway at a motor vehicle accident with injuries, a gas grill fire, a request to assist PD with gaining entry into a house, a problem with a gas stove, a report of a person locked in a bathroom, a motor vehicle accident with possible entrapment, station coverage to the Town of Monroe, a motor vehicle accident rollover, a motor vehicle accident involving a tree, water in the basement of a house, a possible chimney fire, low hanging power wires, a brush fire, four separate carbon monoxide alarm activations with no symptoms, and a motor vehicle accident involving a utility pole.

In addition there were 26 fire alarms that turned out to be unintentional activations, and alarm malfunctions.

For information about the volunteer fire departments, visit each department’s website.

For information about becoming a volunteer, call 203-459-0159.

Long Hill Fire Department

At 14:09 hours on Nov. 29, the Long Hill Fire Department, with assistance from the Trumbull Center Fire Department, responded to the intersection of Main Street and Tashua Road for a motor vehicle accident with possible entrapment. The first arriving fire officer on scene confirmed the report of the two-car accident and began to investigate the situation. Crews were advised while en route that there was still one person in one of the vehicles, but was not trapped. Firefighters checked the scene for additional hazards and reported back that a utility pole had been damaged in the accident and that there was a fluid spill on the roadway. The Department of Energy and Environmental Protection was notified of the fluid spill.

Firefighters remained on scene until the vehicles involved in the accident were removed by the tow trucks. Once complete, the situation was placed under control and units returned back to their stations.

Nichols Fire Department

At 15:21 on Nov. 29, the Nichols Fire Department, with assistance from the Trumbull Center Fire Department, responded to a commercial property on Hawley Lane for a report of a person locked in a bathroom, unable to get out. The first arriving fire chief confirmed that there was one person locked in the rest room that was not in distress. Firefighters were able to get the door open and remove the person unharmed. Crews advised the building representative to have the lock serviced to prevent any additional problems with it.

Upon completion of the firefighter’s tasks, units were released to return back in service.

Trumbull Center Fire Department

At 11:18 on Nov. 24, the Trumbull Center Fire Department responded to the rear of a Settlers Ridge Drive residence for a reported brush fire. The first arriving fire chief on scene reported a fire that was 10’x10’ in size. Firefighters extinguished the fire and thoroughly overhauled the area by saturating the area to ensure the fire was completely out. Crews determined that the cause of the fire was from ashes from a fireplace that were dumped outside.

Once the crews work was completed, the firefighters were released from the scene and returned back to their quarters.