Big E cancelled for first time since WWII over coronavirus concerns
The Big E Fair has been cancelled for only the third time in its 103-year history.
Organizers of the Eastern States Exposition cited health concerns related to the coronavirus as the reason for cancelling the New England staple in an announcement on their website on Monday afternoon.
“Please know that this decision was not made lightly. In fact, it was one of the hardest decisions we, as an organization, have had to make in modern times,” read the statement. “The Big E Fair is so much more than just a fair, it is tradition, it is celebration, it is the showcase of everything we are so proud of in New England. This is why our hearts are heavy as we bring you this news.”
A record 1,629,527 people attended The Big E fair in 2019, according to MassLive.
The only other times that the Big E was canceled in the past were during World War I and World War II.
“We know our faithful fairgoers will be disappointed. This decision was difficult and complex but we all know in our hearts that it’s the right thing to do for the health and safety of the 1.6 million people who support us each year,” the statement said.
The fair had been scheduled to run from Sept. 18 to Oct. 4 this year.
For information on refunds, visit the Big E website.
Organizers said that the fair is expected to return next year.